Last week, a jury awarded the family of Remington Walden, a 4-year-old who died as a result of a crash involving a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a rear fuel tank. After a two-week trial in Decatur County, Georgia, the family was awarded as um of $150 million. The jury found that Chrysler, a unit of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, was liable for the death of Walden. They assert that Jeep and Chrysler failed to warn consumers that these specific Jeeps with rear fuel tanks increased the risk of fire in a rear-end crash.
Chrysler has previously recalled more than 1.56 million Jeep SUVs with similar issues although the particular one that Walden was in was not part of any recall. Chrysler initially denied any safety issues with their Jeeps but according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there have been more than 50 deaths linked to issues with a rear fuel-tank. Chrysler has been ordered to pay 99% of the damages while the driver of the car that hit the Jeep in the accident will have to pay the other 1%. The family is reportedly happy with the settlement but any monetary amount is never enough for the loss of a life.
If you or someone you know has been injured by a recalled product, merely sending the product back for a replacement or refund is unlikely to be an adequate response. Rather, an individual injured by a recalled product is likely entitled to greater compensation under the law. This likelihood is particularly true because large corporations that produce defective products normally carry large insurance policies for the benefit of the consumers that their products might injure.
If you or someone you know has been injured by a recalled or defective product, you deserve to understand the full extent of your legal rights and the compensation you may be entitled to receive. In such cases, you may be subject to a pressing statute of limitations (the deadline to make a claim), or you may be at risk of losing evidence critical to your case; therefore, it is essential that you act quickly to preserve your rights. The attorneys at Fears | Nachawati are national leaders in product recall cases and will be happy to assist you. For a free attorney consultation, please call 1.866.705.7584 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.